samanthabk

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
Darynda Jones
The Libertine
Saskia Walker
Trouble in Texas - Katie Lane Elizabeth Murphy likes a simple life and being the town of Bramble’s librarian makes it easy for her. She likes her job of being surrounded by books and not the nosy bodies of Bramble. Her reputation as a good girl keeps her safe from men but when she inherits Hattie’s henhouse, all of that can go quickly if the people find out that she is the great-great granddaughter of Miss Hattie.Brant Cates is on his way to his brother’s wedding in Bramble, Texas. He just has to make one stop…Hattie’s house of hens. It’s the last place that his great-great grandfather was believed to be alive before he died. Brant wants the truth and he is not leaving until he finds it. He just didn’t expect to come face to face with three old ornery ladies.When Brant arrives at Miss Hattie, he is greeted by a crazy old Minnie who accidentally shoots him in the arm. Once he mentions that he is calling the sheriff, Minnie and the rest of the hens (that is what the women who lived in the house called themselves) drug him and ties him to a bed. Talk about outrageous beginnings! The hens are absolutely hilarious.Elizabeth is trying to stay away from Miss Hattie’s but Minnie calls her over for some emergency. Elizabeth discovers a naked man ties to Miss Hattie’s bed and he almost succeed in seducing her. After escaping the henhouse, Elizabeth realizes more than ever that she has to sell the house and get rid of the hens.When Elizabeth and Brant come together in the day, Brant sees the sexy temptress behind the boring librarian persona. He remembers the sweet kisses and heat that she had the night before. The last thing Brant needs is a stuffy librarian getting in his way but he finds himself drawn to her the more he spends time at the hen house.The story becomes more crazy and zany with each chapter. I love how the author begins each chapter with a rule from the henhouse and it applies perfectly to the chapter. Brant and Elizabeth fight each other in every scene but I can understand their reluctance. Brant’s wife and child died and his brother (Beau) is fighting cancer. Every person he loves has experienced some trauma or death and he is afraid to get close to anyone. Elizabeth has been taught by her mother that men are no good. After all, her mother grew up in the henhouse.There is so much more to this story but I don’t want to give it all away. The author does an excellent job at building the suspense and keeping the tension high. Readers will learn who killed Brant’s great-great grandfather and more tidbits about the hens.Ms. Lane delivers a laugh out loud funny western story. I didn’t read any of the other books in the story but I got them on my must-buy list. For those who enjoy over the top, sexy cowboys with a splash of humor, this is the perfect book. I can’t wait for Beau’s story. He deserves happiness after all.